Thursday 14 January 2016

Review: The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks

Finally, after an embarrassing period, I have decided to resume this blog. Call it procrastination,  guilt or an excuse to not exercise, or perhaps it's just a blatant plea for free books, I am writing irregularly once again!

Not my usual review-style but I haven't had time to write an essay.
In brief, I appreciate the research Geraldine Brooks has done for the topic as she does for all her books. It is well written and an easy read. The characters are vivid, the dialogue, real. The only disappointment was in her taking the now-prevalent view of certain key relationships in David's eventful life which jarred against my personal, more traditional, beliefs.

Perhaps I might expand on this review later. I don't think the evidence is as clear cut as the theory's supporters advocate but sadly, I'm pretty sure this will be even more the popular view now.


I wish to thank Goodreads for my giveaway copy of The Secret Chord.
Slightly disharmonious, three strings out of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment